And it is done. Finally, after well over a month of avoiding the damned lump, my Blood Angels Spartan is now complete and ready to join the ranks of my slowly growing IXth Legion army. And now that it’s been in front of the camera and had its glamour shots, I can take you through it all right here.
Firstly, this is a beast of a kit, and Forge World have done yet another fantastic job on bringing a rather chunky beast to life. It weighs enough to club a man to death with, and despite my best efforts, there are still a couple of mould lines here and there, but for the most part it’s looking good (which is a miracle considering I assembled it in a grumpy and hungover mood – see previous WIP post).
As mentioned in a previous post, this kit has helped me to realise that I’m not a huge fan of working on big kits (a bit of an issue considering that there’s a titan still waiting to be built/painted) but I’m relatively happy with how this turned out. Yes, it does have a bit of a wobble (my fault), and It’s about 10% green stuff (still my fault) but weathering hides a multitude of sins. I used the same weathering techniques that I used when I did my rhinos, and it’s worked out really nicely. I’m especially happy with how that weathering worked on the tracks too. Dulling them down with Typhus Corrosion and those dry-brushed greys really takes the edge off the silver colours.
I’d also forgotten that, having painted more than a couple of Land Raiders over the years, I really hate painting the sponson weapons that come with those. Those las-cannons are always so fiddly to get right, and the Spartan of course, comes with twice as many. I kept it simple and I can live with them. I also have to say that the FW Land Raider doors look great on this assault tank. I thought about going crazy with the freehand here, but I’m glad I didn’t. The White Stripe and the doors do enough for the sides. This is a workhorse vehicle – not a fancy pants tank. I am getting an itch to do a bit more freehand now though…
I have to say, despite my previously professed adoration for Mephiston Red as a colour, I’m getting a little tired of it now – after this. It’s still glorious but I think I’m starting to dream in Mephiston Red. There is definitely a change due soon – if only for a short break.
I’m quite happy with the engine stack. I feel I could have done more with it, but I don’t think anyone will be looking at it too much, and it fits with the other tanks that I’ve worked on, so I’m not too bothered about it.
I am looking forward to seeing this on the table top. The idea of it disgorging my terminators onto the battlefield, right in the heart of the enemy ranks, gives me a wicked smile. And for that reason, I actually painted a bit of the inside as well. It’s basic, but it’s better to do it – it makes the model feel more complete. The Cataphractii Terminators do look massive next to this tank though. Even so, it’s a lot of awesomeness.
And that’s that finished! On to the next project, which will almost certainly also be Blood Angels related, though hopefully not this big. I fancy working on something small and interesting that won’t take me a month to work through. Something with no side sponsons, mould lines, interiors or green stuff. But I shall leave that until the next post. I hope your projects are going well, and until next time; Onwards!