After the flurry of activity last week, I’ve been taking it a bit easy of late. Well, not really – I’ve been buzzing around like a blue-arsed fly as the popular phraseology would have it, but not much of that activity has been focussed on my painting. But last night I found just a scrap of time to put some things together and so I can bring you an update today, featuring first, a look at the next project.
When I took my BA Vet squad to Nottingham for the Horus Heresy & Necromunda Weekender Golden Demon, they earned me a pin, which I am still absolutely thrilled with. And, as mentioned before, when I picked them up after the event, I asked one of the judge chaps there about what could help turn them from a 4th place entry to a 3rd place entry or better. He told me to put as much effort as I had put into that 10 man squad into a five man squad instead. So that’s what I’m doing.
Now admittedly, this isn’t much to look at. Yet. I’ve put together the five bases I’m going to be using for this project, and it was plenty of fun hacking up my bits box to create these post-apocalyptic micro-scenes that will function as the setting for my five man squad.
I’m going to be doing Blood Angels again, but this time around, they will be from the 41st Millennium. The captivating tales of sons of Sanguinius and their desperate defence of Baal against the Tyranids have inspired me, and these are essentially going to be a red version of the Tyrranic Wars veterans of the Ultramarines. These guys are going to be battered, mismatched and looking desperate, yet defiant.
But for now, you’ll have to settle for these pictures of some bases. Work begins again on this project this evening, and hopefully soon, I’ll have more interesting things to show you. Preferably something red. I’m hoping that the theme will also help me out here, though of course the primary focus is going to be on the painting side, and I need to switch gears from clean to dirty yet again.
So, now let’s turn to the 2nd part of this update. I have been asked, both on this blog and other places to give you some close ups of the duel that I showed off last week, highlighting a bit of the detail that has gone into that piece. Well, as I am feeling particularly generous, I have acquiesced to said requests with the images below. Now, this was done with my iPhone camera, and given that I am one of the world’s leading ‘not the best’ photographers, I promise nothing in terms of quality or lack of blurriness. But still, I hope you can spot the bits of freehand, weird details, weathering and spurting blood. You’ll also get a better look at the star field on the Harlequin’s jacket. Here’s a dump for you:
And so there you have it. One is always a little nervous about blowing up 28mm scale miniatures to such sizes and though I’ve spotted a couple of things that I’d update and fix, they look ok. Nothing too bad to worry about at least.
That’s all I have to update you on now, but stay tuned for further progress, and hopefully more of that soon. May your efforts go more speedily than my own, and may you have plenty of fun as well. Onwards!