Last week, you may remember, that I finished off my Techmarine. Well, now I have finished the second part of the same kit – the Thunderfire Cannon. This is definitely a kit of two halves.
I said, and I maintain it still, that the Techmarine was one of the best bits of finecast I have ever worked on. It was sturdy, no bubbles, no warping… it was what finecast was meant to be. The Thunderfire Cannon on the other hand was a classic. Nothing would fit together. Everything needed extensive clipping, tidying – to the extent that I had no chance in getting it all. What a pain in the derrière kit this was, and to make it better, the barrel either points up or down but not in between. Fun times. But after a great deal of rescuing, I got it back to being usable.
I kept the look of this piece very basic and utilitarian. It’s mainly silver metallics but there are a couple of bits of colour across the piece. A few lenses and scopes, etc. I added some mud to the tracks, as well as a bit more weathering to the wheels within the tracks. I wanted it to look well maintained, but in the middle of a long campaign so that there would be an inevitable bit of wear and tear. Otherwise, it would just be silver all over and this would be even more boring than it already is.
There are a couple of bits at the back of this piece that really match it to the Techmarine. As well as the ammunition needing to match the piece being held in his servo harness (I went for a brass look that I have used across the army), I made sure that the scope showed the same thing as the auspex that the Techamarine is holding onto.
And that’s that. On to the net kit we go. Not sure what that is yet, but I’ll work that out soon enough. As for the Thunderfire Cannon and its Techmarine Operator, I’m happy with the results. I look forward to seeing it squashing some blobs of infantry on the battlefield. Onwards!