For those of you who have been following and reading this blog for a while now, you’ll know that there’s one area that I’ve always struggled with, and that’s photography. Well, I’ve been steadily investing in a new setup to help me rectify this issue, and this weekend, I got a chance to play around with it properly and for the first time ever, I managed to get some shots of my miniatures that really capture their colours and everything is in focus (and that really is a first). There are still a few issues here and there, but I thought I’d show these guys off and give you a better idea of what they really look like.
I’d also like to thank a couple of people for putting guides on miniature photography up on their sites. Firstly, thanks to GW for adding this guide to the black library site – it’s really quite helpful. Secondly, it should be noted that Garfy over at Tale of Painters has also put a photography guide up that has some slightly different takes on miniature photography and you can read it here. Both are super useful and though I still need to play around with all the settings on my camera a bit more, I’ll be referring back to these throughout.
Anyway, on with the show. Without further ado, here are the first set of reshot miniatures. Enjoy!
So not bad for a first try with my new setup. Yes, there are some issues. I need to adjust the white balance a bit, and the lighting isn’t perfect, but these are among the best images I’ve ever taken of my miniatures, and I’m very happy with them. You’ll notice a lack of Mortifactors I’m sure, but rest assured, they are in make-up as we speak, readying themselves for a close up with Inquisitor DeMille (Ordo Fabulous).
When they’re done, they’ll make up the second half of this reshoot, which you’ll see here first. Onwards!